Medically referred to as reduction mammoplasty, breast reduction is a surgical procedure designed for women whose breast size has become particularly problematic and / or inhibitive to their lifestyle.
Large breasts, while desired by many, can actually present some women with troublesome challenges and even pain.
About Breast Reduction
When a woman's breasts are too large for her proportions, she may experience pain not only in this area but in her neck and back as well. Oversized breasts can lead to difficulty in finding clothing and can even make a woman appear much heavier than she actually is. As such, it is not uncommon for women suffering in this way to seek surgical options to alleviate the problem.
Breast reductions offer women the opportunity to safely have their breast size reduced in a way that will yield immediate results.
The process itself involves removing excess fat from the breasts, as well as taking out extra glandular tissues and skin in order to effectively minimize the size of the breasts and make them proportional with the rest of a woman's body. In doing so, pain is systematically alleviated and discomfort is diminished. No longer will these women be made to suffer the embarrassment, pain and / or inhibitions that they may have once felt on a daily basis.
Before & After Photos
What to Expect
If you are looking to reduce the size of your breasts and restore them to a size and shape that is conducive to your natural body, Pacific Plastic Surgery Group can help.
There are a number of different techniques that can be utilized to complete the process, and finding the method of approach that is right for you will be one of the first things discussed with your surgeon. Depending on the current size and shape of your breasts, one reduction technique may be better than the other and we will spend as much time discussing your options with you as is necessary to ensure that you feel informed and comfortable with your decision.
In order to be considered a good candidate for breast reduction surgery, you must meet certain criteria. First and foremost, we would like to stress that this is an elective surgery and the decision to proceed should be made by you and you alone. Breast reductions are not meant to fulfill the wishes of another. It is also important that you are in good physical health prior to surgery and that you refrain from smoking cigarettes, as poor health could adversely affect your ability to recover. Common complaints among women seeking breast reduction surgery include:
- The belief that your breasts are too large, causing you constant worry, anguish, stress, etc.
- You have and / or are currently experiencing pain in the back neck or shoulders due to the heavy weight of your breasts
- You have developed skin irritations beneath the folded crease of your breasts
- Your physical activity has been limited by the size and weight of your breasts
- The size of your breasts have stretched your skin and possibility left scars
- Your breasts hang particularly low on your body
- The stretched skin on your breast has caused enlargement of your areolas (the colored skin surrounding your nipples)
- Even when your breasts are supported, your nipples fall below the crease of your breasts
- Your bra straps leave abnormal indentations on your body from the weight of your breasts
Surgical Process of Reducing Your Breasts
For many of our female patients, knowing what the steps of the surgery entail provides comfort to those considering the process. We will gladly discuss the details of the procedures with you at length, and we have also provided some general information below that can be reviewed prior to meeting with a surgeon from our office.
As mentioned above, the surgery involves removing excessive fat, skin and glandular tissue from a woman's breast. This is most often accomplished by making incisions on the breast and then surgically making the removals. It is sometimes possible to use liposuction in addition to the excisions that will be made. Generally, you can expect the following:
- Anesthesia will be administered to numb the pain and put you under during the procedure
- An incision will be made; there are several methods of incision, including making a circular pattern, an anchor shape or a keyhole shape. You and your surgeon will decide together which method is best for you.
- Tissue and fat will be removed and the skin and breasts will then be repositioned. If necessary, the skin around the perimeter of the area will be excised as well.
- The incision will be closed, effectively minimizing and reshaping the breasts in the process. You will have sutures layered deep inside of the breast tissue which will help support the new shape of your breasts.
You will immediately be able to see the results of your breast surgery. At first, you will experience pain, bruising and swelling, but these symptoms will go down over time and completely diminish in the weeks and months following your surgery. Incision line scars will fade as well, leaving you with a satisfactory new breast size and image. It is essential that you seek out a qualified and experienced San Francisco cosmetic surgeon if you are considering this procedure.
At our office, you can rest assured that Dr. Miranda is highly capable and has performed numerous plastic surgeries throughout his medical career. Contact us today to learn more and schedule your consultation.