Restylane is a product that helps smooth away wrinkles, plumps up the cheeks and lips, and adds lubrication and moisture to the skin. These benefits allow you to achieve a younger-looking facial appearance.
This injectable skin treatment comes in the form of a clear gel. It is a non-animal biodegradable product composed of synthetic hyaluronic-acid.
Restylane is used as a filler injection in non-surgical facial anti-aging treatments. Because these are non-surgical minimally invasive treatments, recovery time is typically not needed, making the treatment very convenient.
Preparing for Restylane Treatment
About two weeks prior to your treatment, stop taking medications and supplements like Aspirin, vitamin E, fish oil, Ibuprofen and related NSAIDs, and St. John’s Wort. This helps in minimizing any bruising that might be caused during your treatment.
The Procedure for Restylane Injections
During a Restylane treatment, local anesthesia is administered to the target areas in order to numb them to any pain. The procedure usually takes less than a half hour to perform.
First, the doctor selects injection points for the treatment. The correct amount of Restylane required for the treatment is determined. The filler is then injected under the skin.
The hyaluronic acid present in the filler sticks close to the skin. The acid attracts the water molecules to build and retain new volume, making wrinkles disappear.
What to Expect After Restylane Treatment
Soon after the Restylane treatment, patients can return to work. Downtime is typically not needed. The effects of the treatment can be seen immediately, and full results can be expected within a week.
In the areas where Restylane was injected, patients may see slight swelling, redness, and/or bruising. This is based on factors such as the locations of the injection points on the face. These temporary side-effects usually only appear for 12 to 24 hours after the procedure.
Follow these tips to keep the common side-effects of the treatment to a minimum:
• Make sure to follow the instructions given by Dr. Miranda before and after the treatment.
• After being injected, stay in an upright position for three to four hours
• Avoid lying down or sleeping for three to four hours so that there is no rubbing or pressing of the injected areas.
• Arnica supplements may help reduce bruising.
• While sleeping, keep the head in an elevated position by using extra pillows to minimize swelling.
• Avoid heavy physical exertion or exercise for three to four hours after the treatment.
• Minimize your exposure to the sun until the swelling and bruising clear up.
• Lightly apply a cold compress to reduce any swelling.
• Avoid any other face treatments like facials or peels for at least 24 hours after the procedure.
• Contact Dr. Miranda in the case of unexpected pain or discomfort.
The results of a Restylane treatment aren’t permanent. They can last for up to eighteen months, depending on the Restylane used for the treatments. Periodic Restylane treatments are necessary to maintain the desired effects.
Make an Appointment to Learn More
Learn more about Restylane and whether or not it’s right for you – set up a consultation with board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Edward Miranda by contacting our office today.